ITINERARY 4 DAYS 3 NIGHTS
Once you are on board, your naturalist will inform you of all the additional activities we will offer during your journey. Bird watching at break of dawn, slide show of endemic wildlife in the afternoon, discovering fruits from the rain forest you probably have never seen before, what about cooking a local dish? Or learning how to make a Pisco Sour! We encourage you to join us on every session to learn, feel & taste a little bit more of the Amazon.
Nature walks & explorations: Due to the conditions of the wet and humid rainforest, the Delfin outfits you with waterproof rubber boot rentals (included) for your comfort and convenience. Before each outing, the boots will be provided for you; after each outing, they will be returned to the staff for cleaning. We also provide the use of rain ponchos.
Kayaking: Please check with your naturalist guide about the day’s weather conditions for the use of kayaks. With the water level and weather forecast permitting, you are welcome to register, at your discretion, for the kayak sessions. These sessions will be conducted in calm waters where you can paddle in a very relaxed manner. Our kayaks are ideal for 2 passengers each. The kayaking group will always be accompanied by an experienced naturalist guide for the entire duration.
Fishing: Our fishing policy is in the form of catch and release.
Community visits: It is possible to create very intimate experiences with the local native community people. For example, there are many young children and families in communities who have various needs in the absence of their own resources, so any help will be very useful. Kids love shirts (T-shirts), pencils, notebooks, and toys. Candies to distribute among them are also great sources of joy.
Itinerary: The itineraries are subject to change due to weather conditions at certain times of the year. The water levels of the rivers also vary from time to time, as well as the hours of sailing. Excursions may be modified at the discretion of the Delfin crew.
Weather: The weather in Iquitos is warm and humid and the temperature varies between 33 °C (90 °F) and 21 °C (70 °F).
• The rainy (high water) season is from November to May.
• The dry (low water) season is from June to October.
• Each season boasts dramatic difference in plants, animals, and weather.
Clothing: light and fresh pieces, blouses, long-sleeved shirts, swimwear, shoes with soft rubber sole for the boat (rubber boots and rain ponchos are provided by us), cardigan or long-sleeved shirts, wind resistant jackets. The days are hot and humid while the night breeze is fresh.
Insects & Mosquitoes: We recommend taking Vitamin B or B-15 a few days before arrival to the jungle. These vitamins are the best natural repellent against insect bites. As well, do not forget to bring conventional repellent and cream for bites.
Other items: We suggest bringing sunscreen, a hat, sunglasses, binoculars (very important for enjoying the fauna and flora. Preferably 1 per person), camera, and extra batteries.
Connectivity: There is no WiFi Internet or phone signal coverage on our vessels.
Tips: Tips for both the crew and the guides are not included and are expected, as is customary on cruises around the world. The amounts are distributed equally between your entire vessel’s crew, and we hope their service is valuable and insightful to your experience aboard Delfin. From past experience an average of US$ 120.00 per passenger is suggested, and envelopes will be provided in your room.
Day 1 Monday:
Arrive to the Amazon cityof Iquitos / Embarkation / Happy Hour and orientarion
- Arrive to the Amazon city of Iquitos: Our crew will be expecting your arrival at the airport, then transfer all together in our comfortable private vehicle. We will start you off with a lunchbox as we begin the journey to Nauta.
- Arrive to Nauta port: Nauta is a small riverside town on the banks of the Marañon River and was the first city founded in the department of Loreto. Once we reach Nauta, you will enjoy a VIP greeting at our private port along the shores of the Marañon River where the vessel awaits you.
- Embarkation: Aboard Delfin, you will be served by our qualified staff who will introduce you to your exquisite and cozy suite, specially equipped with all the amenities for the experienced traveler as yourself. Orthopedic beds, pure cotton sheets, pillows of 100% pure natural latex, cotton bathrobes, air conditioning, and private bathroom with Spanish style hot water showers are all framed with a spacious private terrace we are sure you will enjoy to the fullest.
- Happy Hour and orientation: While the Delfin begins its initial navigation, you will enjoy the most fantastic panoramic views from the elegantly outfitted observation area located on our third deck. Our bartender will be waiting to serve you with an exotic cocktail made with regional fruits and pisco, the beloved national brandy liquor of Peru. Then, your naturalist guide will give you an overview of your journey’s schedule, activities, route, highlights, wildlife and vegetation to keep your eye out for, geographical and historical background, and other useful details.
- The third deck features an entertainment center which offers use for film presentations, as well as extensive literature about the area (fauna, flora, etc.) There is also a completely equipped bar so you can test any combination of regional and international liquors and aromas that the bartender will be happy to provide for you to enjoy under the spell of the beautiful Amazonian afternoons and night, and the sweet breeze of the rainforest. Moreover, should you have any doubts or questions, our guides are always fully at your service.
Day 2 Tuesday:
Fundo Casual / Amazonas village.
- Fundo Casual: On your first morning with us, we recommend getting up early to appreciate one of the most important zones of the Pacaya Samiria National Reserve. Never does nature seem more bountiful than in the tropics, and early rising is always rewarding since wildlife is most abundant and active with the rising of the sun. The walk at Fundo Casual jungle trail will take you deep into the rainforest on “terra firma” (non-flooded forest) where your guide will point out the dynamic creatures and vegetation of the Amazon. Be sure to keep an attentive eye open for spotting surprises!
- Amazonas village: This village of 500 people, although not very many miles from the bigger town of Nauta in miles, is still quite removed when you have to go by canoe from place to place. On your visit to this community we will be welcomed by smiling faces and friendly people. Around the community, people who are happy to show you the process of peeling and grating cassava, while another may invite you in for a look at the tools he uses to process the rice (grown locally). A day in the life of a local ribereño is eye-opening to how far we have come in this day and age and a reflection of how simple yet rewarding life is for others.
Day 3 Wednesday:
- Amazon Park: This is a unique opportunity; you will get to the only Canopy Walkway in this area, an experience unequaled in the rainforest! At a height of over 25 meters (85 feet) and extending for 500 meters (one-third of a mile), the Canopy Walkway provides a view of the rainforest from the treetops, the best vantage point for observing Amazon wildlife and vegetation. The Canopy Walkway is accessible to all and requires no special skills or equipment. The suspended walkway is spread between 14 of the area’s largest rainforest trees and is one of the longest canopy walkways in the world. You will enjoy “Terra Firma” forest and you will be able to see the differences between your previous hike and this one.
- Yanayacu Pucate: This is one of the best preserved and protected zones of the Pacaya Samiria National Reserve. Your guide will use his expert eye to pinpoint all the biodiversity of this region. If you want to interact directly with the waters of the Amazon, go out on one of our paddle boards. You will even have the opportunity to swim in the jungle river along with the famous pink dolphins!
Day 4 Thursday:
Disembarkation / The Rescue & Rehabilitation Center of River Mammals (ACOBIA) / Airport departure
- Disembarkation: With heavy hearts, the staff will wish you farewell as you begin your departure. At the port of Nauta, our ground crew will be waiting to take you by our private vehicle back to the city of Iquitos, about 95 kilometers journey by paved road.
- The Rescue & Rehabilitation Center of River Mammals (ACOBIA): On our way from Nauta back to Iquitos airport, you will visit the Rescue & Rehabilitation Center of River Mammals (ACOBIA) where you will have the chance to meet baby manatees and learn about these wonderful and docile creatures and why they are on the endangered species list. As well, there are also some other animals cared for by the center that have been rescued from capture for the intention of being turned into pets and other threatening conditions. We welcome you to donate to this ambitious organization and education center as you wish. Our land personnel will wait for you at the airport and give your boarding passes and help you check in.
- Airport departure: Our staff will be on hand to help you with your luggage and check in at Crnl. FAP Francisco Secada Vignetta International Airport in Iquitos. The return flight will take you directly to the city of Lima, the capital of Peru. At the security gate, your guide and Delfin crew will say goodbye. We truly hope that you enjoyed your stay and Amazon travel experience with us!
|Price per person in USD||2023|
|Deluxe Master Suite||4,800|
- All meals while on board (arrival day: dinner, cruise days: all meals, departure day: breakfast & lunch)
- All excursions & equipment (including rubber boots & rain ponchos)
- Transfers to/from vessel when arriving on recommended flights to Iquitos (both 17:00 hr)
- Entrance fee to Pacaya Samiria National Reserve
- Natural juices, soda, coffe, tea, water, beer ; house cocktails, pisco cocktails & sours, house wines with lunch and dinner
- Air tickets to/from Iquitos
- Cost of medical emergencies (including evacuation)
- Gratuities (amount suggested per guest: US$ 120.00)
- Any additional transportation services
- Any additional bar comsumptions