All of our itineraries have been carefully crafted to showcase the best flora and fauna that the Marañon and Ucayali Rivers in the Pacaya Samiria National Reserve have to boast, along with offering ideal soft adventure excursions for travelers to further discover the secrets of the Peruvian Amazonia.
Itineraries vary based on whether the travel dates fall in the high water/rainy season or low water/dry season.
All activities are optional, although we encourage all guests to tempt their adventurous side. 2-3 times daily excursions (one in the morning, one in the afternoon) may include but are not limited to kayaking in the calm creeks and lakes, swimming with dolphins, fishing for piranhas at sunset, skirting the riverbanks in search of playful creatures, birdwatching, trail walks, and visits to local communities to interact with the native people.
Optional early birdwatching excursions before breakfast are also available for those who are up for the challenge!
Once you are on board, your naturalist will inform you of all the additional activities we will offer during your journey. Bird watching at break of dawn, slide show of endemic wildlife in the afternoon, discovering fruits from the rain forest you probably have never seen before, what about cooking a local dish? Or learning how to make a Pisco Sour! We encourage you to join us on every session to learn, feel & taste a little bit more of the Amazon.
Nature walks & explorations: Due to the conditions of the wet and humid rainforest, the Delfin outfits you with waterproof rubber boot rentals (included) for your comfort and convenience. Before each outing, the boots will be provided for you; after each outing, they will be returned to the staff for cleaning. We also provide the use of rain ponchos.
Kayaking: Please check with your naturalist guide about the day’s weather conditions for the use of kayaks. With the water level and weather forecast permitting, you are welcome to register, at your discretion, for the kayak sessions. These sessions will be conducted in calm waters where you can paddle in a very relaxed manner. Our kayaks are ideal for 2 passengers each. The kayaking group will always be accompanied by an experienced naturalist guide for the entire duration.
Fishing: Our fishing policy is in the form of catch and release.
Community visits: It is possible to create very intimate experiences with the local native community people. For example, there are many young children and families in communities who have various needs in the absence of their own resources, so any help will be very useful. Kids love shirts (T-shirts), pencils, notebooks, and toys. Candies to distribute among them are also great sources of joy.
Itinerary: The itineraries are subject to change due to weather conditions at certain times of the year. The water levels of the rivers also vary from time to time, as well as the hours of sailing. Excursions may be modified at the discretion of the Delfin crew.
Weather: The weather in Iquitos is warm and humid and the temperature varies between 33 °C (90 °F) and 21 °C (70 °F).
- The rainy (high water) season is from November to May.
- The dry (low water) season is from June to October.
- Each season boasts dramatic difference in plants, animals, and weather.
Clothing: light and fresh pieces, blouses, long-sleeved shirts, swimwear, shoes with soft rubber sole for the boat (rubber boots and rain ponchos are provided by us), cardigan or long-sleeved shirts, wind resistant jackets. The days are hot and humid while the night breeze is fresh.
Insects & Mosquitoes: We recommend taking Vitamin B or B-15 a few days before arrival to the jungle. These vitamins are the best natural repellent against insect bites. As well, do not forget to bring conventional repellent and cream for bites.
Other items: We suggest bringing sunscreen, a hat, sunglasses, binoculars (very important for enjoying the fauna and flora. Preferably 1 per person), camera, and extra batteries.
Connectivity: There is no WiFi Internet or phone signal coverage on our vessels.
Tips: Tips for both the crew and the guides are not included and are expected, as is customary on cruises around the world. The amounts are distributed equally between your entire vessel’s crew, and we hope their service is valuable and insightful to your experience aboard Delfin. From past experience an average of US$ 120.00 per passenger is suggested, and envelopes will be provided in your room.
Day 1: Wednesday
Arrive to the Amazon city of Iquitos / Embarkation / Happy Hour and orientarion
- Arrive to the Amazon city of Iquitos: Our crew will be expecting your arrival at the airport, then transfer all together in our comfortable private vehicle. We will start you off with a lunchbox as we begin the journey to Nauta.
- Arrive to Nauta port: A small riverside town on the banks of the Marañon River and was the first city founded in the department of Loreto. Once we reach Nauta, you will enjoy a VIP greeting at our private port along the shores of the Marañon River where the vessel awaits you.
- Embarkation: Aboard Delfin, you will be served by our qualified staff who will introduce you to your exquisite and cozy suite, specially equipped with all the amenities for the experienced traveler as yourself. Orthopedic beds, ure cotton sheets, pillows of 100% pure natural latex, cotton bathrobes, air conditioning, and private bathroom with Spanish style hot water showers are all framed with a spacious private terrace we are sure you will enjoy to the fullest.
- Happy Hour and orientation: While the Delfin begins its initial navigation, you will enjoy the most fantastic panoramic views from the elegantly outfitted observation area located on our third deck. Our bartender will be waiting to serve you with an exotic cocktail made with regional fruits and pisco, the beloved national brandy liquor of Peru. Then, your naturalist guide will give you an overview of your journey’s schedule, activities, route, highlights, wildlife and vegetation to keep your eye out for, geographical and historical background, and other useful details.
- The third deck features an entertainment center which offers use for film presentations, as well as extensive literature about the area (fauna, flora, etc.) There is also a completely equipped bar so you can test any combination of regional and international liquors and aromas that the bartender will be happy to provide for you to enjoy under the spell of the beautiful Amazonian afternoons and night, and the sweet breeze of the rainforest. Moreover, should you have any doubts or questions, our guides are always fully at your service.
Day 2: Thursday
Belluda Cano Creek / Dorado River.
- Belluda Cano Creek: Early in the morning, you will head for this spectacular tributary spot within the Pacaya Samiria Reserve in our skiffs where you will also experience an unforgettable encounter with gray and pink river dolphins. As well, the day’s birds will be out and active, flying gracefully across the Amazon skies.
- Dorado River: This afternoon, wildlife will greet you and the biodiversity you will experience will be outstanding. You will have the chance to enjoy some of the myriad bird species, colorful, butterflies and other diverse insects, and noisy monkey troops, and when the night shift strikes, you’ll encounter a whole new world of adventure.
Day 3: Friday
Zapote River / Pacaya River
- Zapote River: The morning is a perfect time for kayaking along the calm and inspiring rainforest waters. Our guides will take you upstream; this will be a good chance to spot prehistoric looking iguanas that laze in the sun while we travel along the shoreline searching for whatever the jungle has to offer us. Squirrel monkeys are very active at this time of the day, when they move in large noisy troops at mid to upper levels of primary and secondary lowland forest. As you float and paddle down the river, see if you can spot some elusive creatures on your own!
- Pacaya River: This morning, you will have reached our main goal, the Pacaya River at the very heart of the Pacaya Samiria National Reserve, Peru’s largest protected area with a mean annual rainfall of nearly 3,000 millimeters, by far the largest protected wetland reserve in the world. Filled with lakes, palm swamps, and streams, the reserve becomes a flooded forest in the rainy season and is sure to be one of the most beautiful places you’ll ever visit. You will also have the chance to swim in one of the pristine Amazon lagoons in this wonderful region!
Day 4: Saturday
Clavero Lake / Yarapa River / Puerto Miguel
- Clavero Lake: After breakfast, we will begin an exploration at Clavero Lake on board of our aluminum skiff, where you will have the chance to get deep into the rainforest and its fantastic diversity of flora and fauna.
- Yarapa River / Puerto Miguel: Next we will venture along the Yarapa River, where you can explore the tributary in the kayaks and listen closely for the sounds from within the mysterious jungle. Next we will venture out on board our skiffs where you will visit the community of Puerto Miguel to meet local villagers who have called Amazonia their home for generations. You may step into a typical schoolhouse where the children will be very happy to have visitors, and then stop by an area to see the women of this community who have a most amazing arts & craft market.
Day 5: Sunday
Disembarkation / The Rescue & Rehabilitation Center of River Mammals (ACOBIA) / Airport departure.
- Disembarkation: With heavy hearts, the staff will wish you farewell as you begin your departure. At the port of Nauta, our ground crew will be waiting to take you by our private vehicle back to the city of Iquitos, about 95 kilometers journey by paved road.
- The Rescue & Rehabilitation Center of River Mammals (ACOBIA): On our way from Nauta back to Iquitos airport, you will visit the Rescue & Rehabilitation Center of River Mammals (ACOBIA) where you will have the chance to meet baby manatees and learn about these wonderful and docile creatures and why they are on the endangered species list. As well, there are also some other animals cared for by the center that have been rescued from capture for the intention of being turned into pets and other threatening conditions. We welcome you to donate to this ambitious organization and education center as you wish. Our land personnel will wait for you at the airport and give your boarding passes and help you check in.
- Airport departure: Our staff will be on hand to help you with your luggage and check in at Crnl. FAP Francisco Secada Vignetta International Airport in Iquitos. The return flight will take you directly to the city of Lima, the capital of Peru. At the security gate, your guide and Delfin crew will say goodbye. We truly hope that you enjoyed your stay and Amazon travel experience with us!
|Price per person in USD||2023|
- All meals while on board (arrival day: dinner, cruise days: all meals, departure day: breakfast & lunch)
- All excursions & equipment (including rubber boots & rain ponchos)
- Transfers to/from vessel when arriving on recommended flights to Iquitos (both 17:00 hr)
- Entrance fee to Pacaya Samiria National Reserve
- Natural juices, soda, coffe, tea, water, beer ; house cocktails, pisco cocktails & sours, house wines with lunch and dinner
- Air tickets to/from Iquitos
- Cost of medical emergencies (including evacuation)
- Gratuities (amount suggested per guest: US$ 120.00)
- Any additional transportation services
- Any additional bar comsumptions