All of our itineraries have been carefully crafted to showcase the best flora and fauna that the Marañon and Ucayali Rivers in the Pacaya Samiria National Reserve have to boast, along with offering ideal soft adventure excursions for travelers to further discover the secrets of the Peruvian Amazonia.
Itineraries vary based on whether the travel dates fall in the high water/rainy season or low water/dry season.
All activities are optional, although we encourage all guests to tempt their adventurous side. 2-3 times daily excursions (one in the morning, one in the afternoon) may include but are not limited to kayaking in the calm creeks and lakes, swimming with dolphins, fishing for piranhas at sunset, skirting the riverbanks in search of playful creatures, birdwatching, trail walks, and visits to local communities to interact with the native people.
Optional early birdwatching excursions before breakfast are also available for those who are up for the challenge!
Once you are on board, your naturalist will inform you of all the additional activities we will offer during your journey. Bird watching at break of dawn, slide show of endemic wildlife in the afternoon, discovering fruits from the rain forest you probably have never seen before, what about cooking a local dish? Or learning how to make a Pisco Sour! We encourage you to join us on every session to learn, feel & taste a little bit more of the Amazon.
Nature walks & explorations: Due to the conditions of the wet and humid rainforest, the Delfin outfits you with waterproof rubber boot rentals (included) for your comfort and convenience. Before each outing, the boots will be provided for you; after each outing, they will be returned to the staff for cleaning. We also provide the use of rain ponchos.
Fishing: Our fishing policy is in the form of catch and release.
Community visits: It is possible to create very intimate experiences with the local native community people. For example, there are many young children and families in communities who have various needs in the absence of their own resources, so any help will be very useful. Kids love shirts (T-shirts), pencils, notebooks, and toys. Candies to distribute among them are also great sources of joy.
Itinerary: The itineraries are subject to change due to weather conditions at certain times of the year. The water levels of the rivers also vary from time to time, as well as the hours of sailing. Excursions may be modified at the discretion of the Delfin crew.
Weather: The weather in Iquitos is warm and humid and the temperature varies between 33 °C (90 °F) and 21 °C (70 °F).
- The rainy (high water) season is from November to May
- The dry (low water) season is from June to October
- Each season boasts dramatic difference in plants, animals, and weather
Clothing: light and fresh pieces, blouses, long-sleeved shirts, swimwear, shoes with soft rubber sole for the boat (rubber boots and rain ponchos are provided by us), cardigan or long-sleeved shirts, wind resistant jackets. The days are hot and humid while the night breeze is fresh.
Insects & Mosquitoes: We recommend taking Vitamin B or B-15 a few days before arrival to the jungle. These vitamins are the best natural repellent against insect bites. As well, do not forget to bring conventional repellent and cream for bites.
Other items: We suggest bringing sunscreen, a hat, sunglasses, binoculars (very important for enjoying the fauna and flora. Preferably 1 per person), camera, and extra batteries.
Connectivity: There is no WiFi Internet or phone signal coverage on our vessels.
Tips: Tips for both the crew and the guides are not included and are expected, as is customary on cruises around the world. The amounts are distributed equally between your entire vessel’s crew, and we hope their service is valuable and insightful to your experience aboard Delfin. From past experience an average of US$ 120.00 per passenger is suggested, and envelopes will be provided in your room.
Other programs of 4 days 3 nights
Day 1 : Saturday
Arrive to the Amazon city of Iquitos/ Embarkation / Happy Hour and orientarion.
- Arrive to the Amazon city of Iquitos: Our crew will be expecting your arrival at the airport, then transfer all together in our comfortable private vehicle. We will start you off with a lunchbox as we begin the journey to Nauta.
- Arrive to Nauta port: A small riverside town on the banks of the Marañon River and was the first city founded in the department of Loreto. Once we reach Nauta, you will enjoy a VIP greeting at our private port along the shores of the Marañon River where the vessel awaits you.
- Embarkation: Aboard Delfin, you will be served by our qualified staff who will introduce you to your exquisite and cozy suite, specially equipped with all the amenities for the experienced traveler as yourself. Orthopedic beds, pure cotton sheets, pillows of 100% pure natural latex, cotton bathrobes, air conditioning, and private bathroom with Spanish style hot water showers are all framed with a spacious private terrace we are sure you will enjoy to the fullest.
- Happy Hour and orientation: While the Delfin begins its initial navigation, you will enjoy the most fantastic panoramic views from the elegantly outfitted observation area located on our third deck. Our bartender will be waiting to serve you with an exotic cocktail made with regional fruits and pisco, the beloved national brandy liquor of Peru. Then, your naturalist guide will give you an overview of your journey’s schedule, activities, route, highlights, wildlife and vegetation to keep your eye out for, geographical and historical background, and other useful details. The third deck features an entertainment center which offers use for film presentations, as well as extensive literature about the area (fauna, flora, etc.) There is also a completely equipped bar so you can test any combination of regional and international liquors and aromas that the bartender will be happy to provide for you to enjoy under the spell of the beautiful Amazonian afternoons and night, and the sweet breeze of the rainforest. Moreover, should you have any doubts or questions, our guides are always fully at your service.
Day 2 : Sunday
Fundo Casual / Yanayacu Pucate.
- Fundo Casual: The walk at Fundo Casual jungle trail will take you deep into the rainforest on “Terra Firma” (nonflooded forest) where your guide will point out the dynamic creatures and vegetation of the Amazon. Be sure to keep an attentive eye open for spotting surprises!
- Yanayacu Pucate: You will start cruising through the Yanayacu and Pucate Rivers, peeking into different creeks and lagoons. This is one of the best preserved and protected zones of the Pacaya Samiria National Reserve. Your guide will use his expert eye to pinpoint all the biodiversity of this region. You will even have the opportunity to swim in the jungle river along with the famous pink dolphins!
Day 3 : Monday
Samiria River / Nauta Caño
- Samiria River: Our skiffs skim the Samiria River and its tributaries, where an abundance of wildlife hides in the deep rainforest, such as blue and yellow macaws, scarlet macaws, toucans, umbrella, birds, monkeys, and river others, capybaras and more. Our naturalists and his expert eye pinpoint all the biodiversity of this region. This is also a popular dolphin feeding spot so we won´t be the only one enjoying the plethora of fish below.
- Nauta Caño: After a delicious lunch we will visit Nauta Caño Creek. Also, go fishing for the famous piranha, a delightful and challenging experience you won’t forget! As night approaches, your guide will take you on a night safari in search of caiman alligators and night birds.
Day 4 : Tuesday
Disembarkation / The Rescue & Rehabilitation Center of River Mammals (ACOBIA) / Airport departure.
- Disembarkation: With heavy hearts, the staff will wish you farewell as you begin your departure. At the port of Nauta, our ground crew will be waiting to take you by our private vehicle back to the city of Iquitos, about 95 kilometers journey by paved road.
- The Rescue & Rehabilitation Center of River Mammals (ACOBIA): On our way from Nauta back to Iquitos airport, you will visit the Rescue & Rehabilitation Center of River Mammals (ACOBIA) where you will have the chance to meet baby manatees and learn about these wonderful and docile creatures and why they are on the endangered species list. As well, there are also some other animals cared for by the center that have been rescued from capture for the intention of being turned into pets and other threatening conditions. We welcome you to donate to this ambitious organization and education center as you wish. Our land personnel will wait for you at the airport and give your boarding passes and help you check in.
- Airport departure: Our staff will be on hand to help you with your luggage and check in at Crnl. FAP Francisco Secada Vignetta International Airport in Iquitos. The return flight will take you directly to the city of Lima, the capital of Peru. At the security gate, your guide and Delfin crew will say goodbye. We truly hope that you enjoyed your stay and Amazon travel experience with us!
|Price per person in USD||2023|
- All meals while on board (arrival day: dinner, cruise days: all meals, departure day: breakfast & lunch)
- All excursions & equipment (including rubber boots & rain ponchos)
- Transfers to/from vessel when arriving on recommended flights to Iquitos (both 17:00 hr)
- Entrance fee to Pacaya Samiria National Reserve
- Natural juices, soda, coffe, tea, water, beer ; pisco-based cocktails & sours, house wines with lunch and dinner (dining room only)
- Air tickets to/from Iquitos
- Cost of medical emergencies (including evacuation)
- Gratuities (amount suggested per guest: US$ 120.00)
- Any additional transportation services
- Any additional bar comsumptions
- Reservations made 101 days or more before departure: A deposit of US$ 550.00 non-refundable per person is required to confirm the booking . The final balance is required 100 days prior to departure. If the payment is not received on time, the space(s) will be automatically released.
- Reservations made 100 days or less prior to departure: A full, non-refundable payment is required to confirm the booking
- Cancellations made 161 days or more before departure: The deposit will be refunded, less a US$ 250 service charge per person.
- Cancellations made 160 to 101 days prior to departure: All deposits are non- refundable.
- Cancellations made 100 days or less prior to departure: Full payment will be applied as a cancellation penalty.